Procedures and policies regarding student attendance
Translate this page
Report an absence using our attendance form below or by calling our attendance line:
- 24 Hour Attendance Hotline: 703-714-5447
***Attendance portal requests can only be submitted by parents***
Attendance Office Staff: Maribel Sanchez (English and Spanish) 703-714-5447 | @email
Dean of Students: Brian Staton (Attendance Administrator) 703-714-5442 | @email
Chronic Absenteeism is defined as missing 10% or more of the total school year which is 18 or more days for ANY reason. We invite all parents and students to join us in reducing chronic absenteeism. For more information, please visit FCPS Attendance.
Absences (Full day or Partial day)
- When a student is absent, it is the responsibility of the parent/legal guardian to call the attendance ofﬁce to give the reason for the absence by calling 703-714-5447.
- All attendance requests should be submitted by 10:00 a.m. each day.
- If a student accrues 10 or more excused full day absences, the administration may require medical veriﬁcation for any future absences to be excused. Proof or veriﬁcation of absences and tardies may be required by an administrator for an unusual pattern of absences or tardies. Parents are reminded that whenever an absence is anticipated for a future date, such as required family trips, college visits, etc., it must be pre-arranged with the attendance ofﬁce.
E-Notify will send automatic calls after 4 p.m. each day of an absence.
On Mondays, secondary students may be assigned an advisory or intervention period. That teacher will check their logins and provide attendance information to office personnel. On Tuesdays through Fridays, students will login to their classes and each teacher will take attendance. Any time a student must be absent for an illness or other reason, parents must contact the school with that information.
Reasons for Excused Absences
Illness of student
Death in family
Medical or dental appointment
Religious holiday observances
School sponsored field trips
Approved pre-arranged Absences
PLANNING FOR 3 OR MORE CONSECUTIVE DAYS OF ABSENCES? Please complete the pre-arranged absence form 3 days in advance. Electronic forms can be received from the attendance office by email. It is the student's responsibility to inform all teachers in advance and develop and make-up work schedule.
Military Orders to relocate
Other reasons accepted by the principal or designee
Reasons for Unexcused Absences
Absences that have not been excused will be entered as UNV (unverified). If an excuse is not provided to the attendance office by a parent/guardian, the UNV will be changed to an UNX (unexcused).
If your family has an extenuating circumstance that makes it difficult for your student to regularly attend the synchronous sessions during the regular school day, you may contact student services to speak with your student's counselor to discuss your concern and an alternate plan. Administrators will review these cases on a case by case basis to develop a plan. It is our goal to work with each family to keep our students connected to the classroom during this time.
Procedures below will only apply to in-person learning
During this time of virtual learning, in-person learning will be for approved cases only.
Procedures for Check-Ins / Check-Outs
Early Check-Out: Same day
A written note or e-mail is required (please submit an attendance e-mail request through the attendance tab on our school’s web page by 9:30 a.m. on the same day.
- Parents request an early check-out the day prior to the scheduled check-out by using the attendance portal.
- Notes must have time and reason for the check-out along with the parent’s signature and phone number.
- If a note or e-mail is not submitted, the parent or guardian must come to the attendance office to check-out the student.
- If the student becomes ill during the school day, the student must go to the clinic. The clinic aide will contact a parent and release the student to go home.
- Check-in at the attendance window is required for all students entering the building after 8:10 a.m. This includes the following: excused/unexcused tardies and students returning to school after appointments.
** Students are not to leave the school building for any reason during the day without a check-out pass from the Attendance Office.
** All notes will be verified before the student will be allowed to leave school.