Attendance Policies and Procedures
Policies and procedures regarding student attendance
Chronic Absenteeism is defined as missing 10% or more of the total school year which is 18 or more days for ANY reason. We invite all parents and students to join us in reducing chronic absenteeism. For more information, please visit FCPS Attendance.
Full Day Absences
- When a student is absent, it is the responsibility of the parent/legal guardian to call the attendance ofﬁce to give the reason for the absence by calling 703-714-5447. If a phone call is not made on the day of the absence, the parent has the next 3 days to notify the school or have the student bring a note to the attendance ofﬁce.
- Absences that are not excused within 3 school days by a parent/ guardian phone call or note will be unexcused. Parent/guardian notes should include the student’s full name, the date of the absence/tardy, the reason for the absence, and the parent/guardian daytime phone number. Calls are made to the home to conﬁrm notes. Students who are absent 3 or more consecutive days because of illness or medical problems should provide a doctor’s note to have these absences excused.
- If a student accrues 10 or more excused full day absences, the administration may require medical veriﬁcation for any future absences to be excused. Proof or veriﬁcation of absences and tardies may be required by an administrator for an unusual pattern of absences or tardies. Parents are reminded that whenever an absence is anticipated for a future date, such as required family trips, college visits, etc., it must be pre-arranged with the attendance ofﬁce.
Reasons for Excused Absences
Illness of student
Death in family
Medical or dental appointment
Religious holiday observances
School sponsored field trips
Approved pre-arranged Absences
Military Orders to relocate
Other reasons accepted by the principal or designee
Reasons for Unexcused Absences
Family and/or student vacations not pre-arranged
Child care situations
Missing the school bus/traffic or weather issues
Other reasons unacceptable to the principal
Excused and Unexcused Tardies
- Students late to class without an excused pass will be marked as unexcused tardy for that class. Students with excessive excused absences/tardies may be required to present documentation from a doctor.
Procedures for Check-Ins / Check-Outs
Early Check-Out: Same day
A written note or e-mail is required (please submit an attendance e-mail request through the attendance tab on our school’s web page by 9:30 a.m. on the same day.
- Parents request an early check-out the day prior to the scheduled check-out by using the attendance portal.
- Notes must have time and reason for the check-out along with the parent’s signature and phone number.
- If a note or e-mail is not submitted, the parent or guardian must come to the attendance office to check-out the student.
- If the student becomes ill during the school day, the student must go to the clinic. The clinic aide will contact a parent and release the student to go home.
- Check-in at the attendance window is required for all students entering the building after 8:10 a.m. This includes the following: excused/unexcused tardies and students returning to school after appointments.
** Students are not to leave the school building for any reason during the day without a check-out pass from the Attendance Office.
** All notes will be verified before the student will be allowed to leave school.